2013-03-16

The Killing Sword: XIII

(A sample chapter from the Arthurian tale The Killing Sword.)

© 2011 asotir.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.

XIII. Revenge

ON THE MORN they went their way. They rode many days and met no adventure, until they lodged with a gentleman that was rich and well at ease. And as they sat at supper Balyn heard from above grievous loud groans.

‘What is this noise,’ asked Balyn.

‘Truly,’ said his host, ‘I will tell you. I was lately at a joust where I jousted with a knight that is brother unto King Pellam. Twice I knocked him down, and then he promised revenge on me through my best friend. And so he wounded my son that can not be healed till I have of that knight’s blood. And after he wounded my son, he rode away invisible so that no man’s eye could see where he rode or where he went. And from his shield and arms, I know he is kin to King Pellam, but beyond that, I know not his name.’

‘Ah,’ said Balyn, ‘I know that knight. His name is Garlon, and he has slain two knights before my eyes in the same manner. And for that I would rather encounter that knight than win all the gold in this realm, for the despite he did me.’

‘Well,’ said his host, ‘this knight Garlon is beyond defeat, for whenever he has his weapons he is invisible, and only when he is unarmed can he be seen. But I shall tell you something that should please you. King Pellam in his lustiness has made cry in all this country a great feast that he shall hold within these twenty days. And no knight may come there unless he bring with him his wife or his paramour. And that knight, your enemy and mine, you shall see that day.’

‘Then I promise you,’ said Balyn, ‘some of his blood to heal your son with.’

So in the morning they rode all three toward Pellam that lay in the heart of that land, as deep in Logres as man could ride. It was a fortnight of journeying they had through the lush wild land, full of lakes and streams rich with trout and pike, and at the end of that fortnight they came to the castle of King Pellam the Fisher King. It was the very day of the feast, so they stabled their horses and went into the castle.

But at the castle gate the servants would not let Balyn’s host go in, for he had no lady at his side.

‘Let him pass, he is my man,’ said Balyn, and so after some speech the host was let in to attend on Balyn.

Balyn and his damsel were well received and brought unto one chamber and unarmed. And there were brought him robes to his pleasure, that were white and light and fine. The servants then counseled Balyn to leave his sword behind when they went down to the feast. ‘For our lord the King will entertain only pleasures at this feast.’

‘Nay,’ said Balyn, ‘that I will not do. For it is the custom of my country for a knight always to keep his weapon with him, and that custom will I keep, or else I will depart as I came.’

Then the servants knew not what to do, but in the end they gave him leave to wear his sword.

And so Balyn went unto the castle hall and was seated among knights of worship and his lady before him. Many lusty couples were there feasting and drinking and making good cheer, and a great fire blazed in the hearth. But Balyn cast his eyes about, seeking his enemy.

Soon he asked a knight, ‘Is there not a knight in this court whose name is Garlon?’

‘Yonder he goes,’ said the knight, ‘that one there with the scowling face. He is King Pellam’s brother and the most marvelous knight that lives, for he destroys many good knights and they cannot strike him or know where he goes, for he goes invisible.’

‘Ah well,’ said Balyn, ‘is that the man indeed?’

Then Balyn turned it over for a time with the lilac damsel his paramour. ‘If I slay him here,’ he said, ‘I shall not escape. And yet if I leave him now I shall never meet with him again and be able to see him. And great harm he will do if he goes on living and killing men unseen.’

‘Kill him,’ she said. ‘O Balyn as you love me kill me that knight.’

And from where behind them he stood in attendance the rich man said, ‘If that knight lives after this day, he will go out and do to others what he has done to my son.’

But meanwhile this Garlon saw that Balyn stared at him. And he was so proud that he came and smacked Balyn on the face with the back of his hand and said, ‘For shame, knight, why do you gape at me so? Eat your meat and do what you came for.’

‘That is well said,’ said Balyn. ‘This is not the first despite that you have done me, and therefore I will do what I came for.’ And he rose up fiercely with his own sword and clove Garlon’s head to the shoulders.

‘Give me the truncheon,’ said Balyn to his lady, ‘with which he slew your knight.’

She gave it to him right away. And with it Balyn smote Garlon through the heart and said loudly, ‘With that truncheon you slew a good knight, and it sticks in your body now!’

And then Balyn signaled his host and said, ‘Now you may fetch all the blood you need to heal your son.’