2008-04-19

Beginning Sarcey

Starting today, I will be posting Francisque Sarcey's 'A Treatise on the Theater' both as translated and abridged by H. H. Hughes in 1916, and as contained in the collection of Sarcey's reviews and essays, ‘Quarante Ans de Théâtre: Feuilletons’ The original French I found online only in a pdf edition, page by page. I’ve transcribed it, and I hope I have caught all the errors in my transcription. The English I found via Google books in a pdf form, so I’ve had to transcribe that as well. Bilingual readers will note just how much Hughes cut and changed from Sarcey’s original (though it is possible that Sarcey collected the newspaper columns in book form, and in so doing changed them somewhat — in other words, Hughes may have been dealing with the Treatise in a different form than the only one I have been able to find. I may try my hand at translating the original Sarcey columns myself, if there is enough difference to warrant the attempt.

No comments:

Blog Archive